Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kam per te Kosovo!!













Kam per te Kosovo. That means I'm going to Kosovo in Albanian. I just signed a 2-year contract to teach at the American School of Kosovo. I'll be teaching high school History as well as creating an outdoor adventure program for the school. Needless to say I'm psyched. I've always dreamed of living abroad and now that dream is going to be reality. Not only will I be heading to Kosovo, but my girlfriend, Tracy, will be teaching there as well. My life is gonna change dramatically in the next 6 months. I'll have to admit I'm a bit apprehensive of all these changes, but mostly, I'm just really excited about the adventure that is front of me. I'll be living in the capital city of Prishtina. Prishtina is an up an coming university town with a little over half a million people living there. The crazy thing is that roughly 90% of their population is 25 and under. Kosovo is a very diverse place drawing elements of Eastern Europe, the Meditterranean, Islam, and of course the Balkans. From what I've read it sounds like a very beautiful country, very rugged with lots of mountains and forests, with fairly poor infrastructure save a few bigger cities. I'm picturing it as a bit Wild, Wild, West, a bit Borat, and a bit Eastern European Suave. One of the great things about this opportunity is all the travelling we will be able to do. It sounds like I can be in any number of countries in a few hours. Kosovo is bordered by Albania, Serbia, and Montenegro. From what I researched so far, Albania and Montenegro sound like hidden gems in Europe. Matter of fact, the entire Balkans sound amazing. Amazing beaches and coastlines, deep water soloing on Ceuse-like limestone, huge rugged ski resorts without the heafty prices of Chamonix valley, Old World architecture and charm that is truly still Old World in nature, and many National Parks and World Heritage Sites.



10 comments:

The engineer, the fabricator, the soccer player, and the berr said...

this is freaking awesome Joe! Perhaps I will take a trip down from good ole Germany to visit you since I will be moving back there is a short while.

Travelin' Tracy said...

Hey Daniela. You will definitely need to come visit. We can cause trouble in Kosovo together. When do you leave to go to Germany?

Munky said...

Opps, I wrote that accidentally using my girlfriends blogname.

The engineer, the fabricator, the soccer player, and the berr said...

hopefully in the next couple of months. it depends on when the program i applied to actually starts. should be fun!

AMY_BELL - said...

I'm still not quite sure how I feel with the two of you moving all the way to who knows where but I bet it will be fun. I am so coming to visit, that's for sure. I definitely think you need to convince your family to come out for Christmas vacation, I know mine will be down. It's a great way to get out of buying presents! Also, is Montenegro its own country because all the maps I've seen make it part of Serbia...like how Kosovo is. I'm confused. Anyway, have fun packing :)

Travelin' Tracy said...

Montenegro has recently become independent, which is probably why you are seeing different on maps. Kosovo is technically still part of Serbia, but it wants to be free. Maybe it will become independent when we are there...that would be a good thing.

Oh, and when did you get a say in what I did? We are excited to go and you will love visiting us!

Unknown said...

Damn joe, looks like you're gonna have a nice set over there. Good on ya for taking the plunge and doing something differnt. You're gonna have buckets of fun. Make sure you have a couch for your buddies!

qendrim said...

You are the best teacher ever
I Will remember u always
I WILL never forgetit myself that i don't have a photo with u :S:S
and u must write
Kam per te shkuar ne Kosovo :D
With respect your best student ever:P:P Qendrim Rama

qendrim said...

You are the best teacher ever
I Will remember u always
I WILL never forgetit myself that i don't have a photo with u :S:S
and u must write
Kam per te shkuar ne Kosovo :D
With respect your best student ever:P:P Qendrim Rama

seomustafa1122 said...

It is a great news for the views that you have submitted a useful data.It’s truly a pleasure knowing a site like this packed with excellent information.
opencart